Monday 15 December 2008

The Everest West Ridge Presentation


It is that time of the year when assignments and exams are taking place, and we are submerging ourselves in the mayhem of submitting coursework and meeting deadlines.

Last week I attended the Dave Bunting Presentation. I regularly check the “campus announcements”, and this really caught my eye as the presentation was billed as high impact and visual.

I remember following on Sky News the attempt to reach the Everest summit via the almost inaccessible and rarely climbed West Ridge in 2006.

The presentation followed the expedition from conception to completion and the many emotional ups and down experienced by the members of the expedition party; the preparation period was three years!

The talk was awe inspiring, at times humbling. There were many themes I could relate to in my everyday life; emphasising the importance of team work, physical endurance, stamina and striving for a common goal. It was about leadership and making hugely difficult decisions.

It was about the process, rather than the end point, as the team never actually managed to complete the expedition and reach the summit.

It reminded me how fine the line is between success and failure.

It reminded me how big the world is!

Andrew Jennings

Dave Bunting is available for motivational presentations through www.speakersfromtheedge.com
and www.speakersacademy.nl

Please click on the names to go directly to their websites.




No comments: