Monday 30 March 2009

Pain is temporary, quitting is forever!

Libraries and Learning Innovation were offered the opportunity to send some staff to Bavaria as a thank you for their involvement in this year's Festival of Partnerships for Students. Lucky enough to be one of the chosen few drawn out of the hat I found myself Nordic walking, skiing and climbing down a gorge during the three day trip as part of a diverse group, made up of students and staff from across the university. We listened to inspiring talks from Dee Caffari who sailed solo around the world in both directions and Dave Bunting who led the British team up Mount Everest via the West Ridge.

The instructors were brilliant. They taught us the skills needed to participate in the challenges so we felt safe and comfortable. I also loved listening to the fascinating facts about the local countryside. It was an amazing experience. We had beautiful weather, spectacular scenery, comfortable accommodation and scrumptious Bavarian cakes. At times challenging, it was really enjoyable and I even made some new friends. I have returned feeling enthused and rejuvenated with just a few sore blisters on my feet. The motto of the weekend for me had to be: "pain is temporary, quitting is forever!"

No comments: